Sunday, September 1, 2013

Going Under

Going Under
by: S. Walden
Going Under
 
Blurb:
Brooke Wright has only two goals her senior year at Charity Run High School: stay out of trouble and learn to forgive herself for the past. Forgiveness proves elusive, and trouble finds her anyway when she discovers a secret club at school connected to the death of her best friend. She learns that swim team members participate in a “Fantasy Slut League,” scoring points for their sexual acts with unsuspecting girls.

Brooke, wracked with guilt over her friend’s death, decides to infiltrate the league by becoming one of the “unsuspecting girls,” and exact revenge on the boys who stole away her best friend. An unexpected romance complicates her plans, and her dogged pursuit of justice turns her reckless as she underestimates just how far the boys will go to keep their sex club a secret.

(This is a New Adult fiction book with mature themes. It contains graphic sex and language and a description of sexual violence.)
 
Paperback, 344 pages
Published March 14th 2013 by Penny Press
 
*************************************************
5 This Author knows how to skirt the edge of controversial Stars!
*****************************************************
 
My Review:
Holy Shit. Let me repeat. HOLY SHIT! This book stole my breath away. First of all, this author knows exactly how to write a book that is unique and so non cookie cutter, it isn't even funny.
 
And while we are on that, there isn't much about this book that is funny. Well, except maybe Ryan and Brooke playing video games. Umm, can we say yum.
 
Anyhoo, the topic of this book is one that is deep. There is rape involved. No easy way to say it. Brooke learns of this "Fantasy Slut League" that the swim team is involved in and she is determined to avenge her BFF who commited suicide. She is on a mission to get all the details and find out who is commiting the crimes. She gets a little too close and bad things start happening. Gonna stop there, no spoilers from me.
 
I started out despising Brooke. My first thought was how in the heck am I going to continue to read this book when I hate her for going behing her BFF's back and sleeping with her man. The more I read, the more I tolerated her, but I don't think I ever really loved her. However, even with not liking Brooke that much, she didn't deserve anything that happened to her and I still loved the book. I loved that it was original and I loved that there was so much going on to keep you on your toes. I did love Ryan. He was great. My only wish is that these were college aged kids, instead of high school.
 
I would probably say if you are a victim of a crime against you, such as rape, I wouldn't recommend reading this book. Also, it's not for the faint of heart. Just figured I should warn you.

No comments:

Post a Comment